Thursday, May 3, 2012

phil's story corner

This week at OSU, it is outreach week for Real Life. If you've been walking around this campus, you might have seen the giant 7 foot boards with a lot of pictures on them. You should check them out, it's pretty cool.

The aim and purpose of this week is to hear the stories of everyone across the campus. And to see how God's bigger story intersects with our own. And well, here's my part of the story. I presented this in front of our weekly meeting a couple months ago.



At a pretty early age, I accepted Christ as my savior and wanted to live my life to please him, but as a young lad of only six years of age when I made the decision to follow Christ, I had absolutely no idea what that entailed. It was a rare Sunday when my family and I did not find ourselves sitting in the pews of the church.  Sunday school and Bible studies were a part of my weekly routine as I grew up. And when God just became another thing I did in addition to a plethora of other activities I was involved in, his significance became lost on me. He became a boring, uninteresting figure, unable to provide me with any real fulfillment. Yeah I would say and do all the Christian things, but the things I said I believed and the way I lived didn’t always match up. I claimed Jesus was in driver seat of my life, but in reality I doubted whether a man who lived 2000 years ago and an ancient book could really offer me any satisfaction in this 21st century world. So I looked for satisfaction in myself and indulged anything that made me feel good.  I put my identity in my athletic prowess, my musical talents, and outstanding school work, anything where I rose above the rest of my peers to make me seem like I was the best this society had to offer. It made me feel good, and I’d give a shout out to Jesus if I had to.

When I got to college, I felt it necessary to seek out a Christian group on campus and looked for a group that would act as my moral compass now that I had moved away from home. Now I don’t know if it was the free laundry bag at the OSU involvement fair or the attractive girl I recognized from my high school handing out the free laundry bag, but I was somehow drawn to the Real Life booth and compelled to check out what this thing was all about it. I vividly remember that first meeting as the lights dimmed and the music came on, and I saw young college students worshiping  and singing with genuine hearts. The enthusiasm was something that I had never really experienced before. And it was the same way in the small group Bible study I began to get involved with. We would study passages and stories that I was familiar with, and thought I had all the easy answers to, but the way my Bible study leaders analyzed and looked at scripture was something incredibly new to me. They actually enjoyed studying the Bible, and didn’t see it as a chore. God was real and it was evident in the way they lived their day to day lives. So in my efforts to imitate my new friends, I joined the crowd at Real Life. I made it my number one priority, put it at the top of my list, and it was a rare Wednesday or Thursday night when I wasn’t at a Real Life function of some sort. I did all these things to satisfy my spiritual quota for the week and feel good about my standing with God. It became routine, and although the routine was fun and I experienced great community and love, my experience was hollow, although I didn’t know it at the time.

By the time my freshman year ended, I thought I had grown a lot in my faith and had a great community surrounding me. Then summer came around, and that community vanished, and any semblance of growth that I experienced did to. I no longer had a regular schedule or structure and I ran out of Christian events to go to. My summer saw me returning to my old patterns of sin at home where myold habits resurfaced and God once again God no longer seemed relevant. Was everything that I experienced during my freshman year just a lie, just some good emotions that had no merit? I struggled with these feelings, desperate for school to start again in the fall, so I could fill my time doing good Christian things once more.
I was relieved when my Sophomore year started. I started leading a Bible study and started filling up my time with ministry events. But the satisfaction and good feelings I got from doing ministry felt empty and left me tired. I wondered what was I doing wrong. Why did God feel like he wasn’t present in my life It was then that through a series of talks with my old Bible study leader that I began to realize what I was putting my hope and identity in.

All my life I had thought of myself as either a good student, or the athlete, or the funny friend, or the musician who happened to be a Christian, who wanted to put Jesus first. But I realized the error in my thinking and had the wrong viewpoint of who my Lord is. Jesus isn’t another aspect of my life that fits alongside my other priorities. He doesn’t even want to be number one in a sea of priorities. He’s not an item on the list, he is the list. He should permeate through every aspect of our lives. When the Bible tells us to confess Jesus as Lord, it means that he is Lord over everything.  It doesn’t matter that I had perfect attendance here on Thursday nights. When I fall into sin, I can’t do enough good or feel bad enough about what I did to somehow earn my way back into God. When we put our identity and self worth in Christ, we see that we can’t do anything to add to what he already did. He saved me from sin and death, and begs me to enjoy him, not work for him. When I realized this truth of the Gospel, I can’t help but feel genuine excitement and love simply for who God is and experience real victory over sin.

Now I still struggle with attempting to earn my salvation, feeling it necessary to prove to God that I deserve him, and viewing God as an activity I do rather than someone I worship. But every time I fall short and have this wrong view, I am reminded that Jesus said “it is finished” on the cross and all my sin and shortcomings have been washed away. And that’s the greatest reminder and reassurance that I could ever have.



No comments:

Post a Comment