Thursday, December 22, 2011

my last post about christmas

People like getting things that improves your quality of life. This past week at the doctor, I had the privilege of getting 3 shots injected in my arm to immunize me against the tetanus virus and his batch of bad guy friends. It was terrific, until later that day when I could barely move my arms, and my immune system began to act against the cocktail of weakened pathogens inside my body and as a result, I developed massive headaches and stomachaches, and woke up the next morning feeling like I was going to die. But then the pain went away, and I now I feel fantastic!

So what does my trip to the doctor have to do with anything? Nothing. I'm not even going to try to cleverly tie that into what I wanted to talk about (although, I very easily could).

But back to this idea of receiving things. During Christmas time, people like getting gifts. But society tells us that it's selfish to only receive gifts, and that we should also enjoy giving gifts as well, so we also like to give things. This makes everyone happy in our culture. It allows Christmas time to be enjoyed by all people groups, regardless of religion because, hey who doesn't enjoy other people when selflessness is in season? It's humanity at it's best correct? Don't you get a great feeling when you give someone else a present? It draws people together right? This is the season of giving isn't it? When is he going to stop with all these rhetorical questions?

Now I enjoy the season of giving as much as the next guy. I enjoy buying my family random silly gifts for Christmas, like shamwows, a waffle maker, and the entire men's collection from Bath and Body Works (sounds impressive but there are only 3 things for men at that store, which I think smells fantastic. I'm a sucker for fruit flavored fragrances). But I'm going to suggest that Christmas should primarily be a holiday of receiving. I don't mean to sound like a selfish, arrogant person.

The true message of Christmas has nothing to do with us. It has nothing to do with what we can give. It has everything to do with what God has given to us. He gave us an unmerited gift, the gift of eternal life through his son, Jesus. We did nothing to earn this gift. When you were a child and you received gifts from your family, not because you deserved them, but because your family and friends love you. God loves his creation,  people who bear his image. The fullness of the high and mighty God came down to dwell among us. God walked among men. Something so powerful and holy came down to live with people who are weak and sinful. He did this so that we might be able to experience a relationship with the father, and to know God, to have eternal life in Him. That's the greatest gift of all.

But today, people gloss over that reality. On Christmas Eve this Saturday, millions of people will go to church, hear a message that they've heard several times before about God's love. They will sing some hymns without paying attention to the words, and then leave with a feeling of self-righteousness thinking that they did their cultural duty as an American and a Christian. I pray that person isn't you. I pray that you will realize the monumental occasion that you are celebrating. That you wouldn't just use this season as a season to feel good about yourself because of all you've given to charity and family and friends. Because the reality is, no matter how much you do for others, and no matter how pure your intentions are, you will never please God by your actions, by your works. A perfect God demands a perfect person. I doubt you are perfect. Only Jesus is. Only by allowing Christ to become your righteousness can you experience God. Receive the free gift that God has sent to us. It is real. Christmas isn't just a tradition, it's a celebration of a real event, the most important event in human history. Respond to the gospel. Celebrate and worship God for who he is and what he has done. Celebrate Immanuel, God with us. God with us. What a concept. We have a Wonderful Counselor, a Mighty God, an Everlasting father, a Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9), dwelling with us if you have accepted Christ.

Christmas is just the beginning of a life that ended with the defeat over death. Christ became the sacrifice, taking on the death that we deserve. But he conquered death by rising from the grave to dwell with God forever. And now he stands, extending that invitation to me and you.

If you haven't received that gift, I implore you to do so. If you have, I implore you to share it with others, and to reflect on what that means for you as a child of God this season.

I want to leave you with my first attempt at embedding a video on this blog! It is from a spoken word from a Christmas Real Life meeting at Ohio State last year which I had the pleasure of being in attendance. I think it does a much better job of saying what I wanted to say. So if you skipped all that reading and just wanted to watch a video, well you're in luck!



Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment